Thursday, September 15, 2011

Great Expectations

It’s not just the title of one of my favorite books of all time, it’s something I live every day. I have great expectations of people. However, I’m starting to think that these expectations have been more hurtful than helpful. People will always disappoint you. Always. I know this, but lately it seems like people don’t even try to be good friends to each other anymore. They get lazy. It makes me feel taken advantage of. I feel like I have to be clingy and persistent to get even the slightest response from my friends anymore! It’s so frustrating! I don’t want to be that kind of person, but I can’t help it. Does anyone ever feel like this? Does anyone ever think “well, crap…I’m kind of annoying!”? ha ha! It’s terrible. I try so hard to be a good friend, I’d do anything for anyone, but what’s the pay off?
Am I wrong to hold people to the standards I think consist of being a generally thoughtful person? Or am I just trying to get the attention I think I deserve? I hold myself to extremely high standards, maybe I just wish others should do the same…
“Oft expectation fails, and most oft where most it promises; and oft it hits where hope is coldest; and despair most sits”
William Shakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment